Most people would agree happiness is a state of mind. But happiness is not so much a state of mind as it is a state of heart. With a heart brim full of joy the mind follows suit and everything seems bright and joyful. Every experience is deemed magical and meaningful and there is plenty to smile about. And the best part is that others can’t seem to get enough of you.
Happiness is a high road that few seem to be able to travel consistently. Most people have high or peak moments sprinkled sparingly in with worry, stress and plain old unhappiness. Here are 6 tips that will help you travel the high road of happiness more frequently:
- Celebrate Each New Day: Each day has something to celebrate even though you might not acknowledge the moment when it comes. The key is in opening the daily gifts life presents. A moment when a problem gets resolved with just one phone call, when someone sends you a thank you card in the mail unexpectedly or when your kids finally cleaned up their room without a fight are all reasons to celebrate. To celebrate requires three things: to honor yourself, to appreciate the moment and to invite someone you love to join in on your enthusiasm. Just celebrate being together with those you love. It’s not necessary to throw a party with balloons and champagne on ice to get in a celebratory mood. The shear joy you feel when you stop to appreciate the special moments of your day lifts your spirit onto the high road. Happiness will fill your heart with every celebratory step you take. Stop. Turn on some music and two step. Just because.
- Muzzle Your Inner Critic: A sour puss usually resides alongside your more joyful side and is ready to extinguish your happiness with criticism, perfectionism and judgments if you let it. To banish your inner critic from your thoughts is no easy task. It may take a muzzle of mind control to restrain the inner critic’s negative comments. When the critic says something ugly to spoil your mood, just tell yourself stop and think of an antidote: sing someone’s praises, accentuate the positive and embrace the moment with gratitude.
- Think Happy Thoughts, Talk Happy Talk: I simply remember my favorite things and then I don’t feel so bad. As simple as it sounds, by just shifting your thoughts to focus on the happy side of life you’ll begin to feel the volume of joy in your heart go up and up. Focus on the positive, the beauty around you, and the simple pleasures you enjoy and sooner than later you’ll discover you are happy. On a rainy day, think how as a child you used to love sloshing through a puddles. Or when your bills overwhelm you think about how loved you are by those around you. Gloomy thoughts cloud up your days, but happy thoughts create sunshine in your life. Conversations that are focused on good news, interesting things, and happy experiences feed your heart and your relationships. There is nothing worse than listening to someone talk endlessly about the terrible headlines stories in the newspaper or who just plain enjoys gloom and doom talk. It doesn’t mean that you should never air out your sorrows to a friend, but just give as much airtime to the good experiences in your life.
- Do a Lot of What Makes You Happy: If you know something will make you happy, do it often. Feed yourself a diet of the things you love to do and you’ll find that you are brim full of happiness the majority of the time. Sometimes we get into the habit of denying ourselves simple pleasures because responsibilities take a front seat. Or worse, deep down inside we don’t think we deserve happiness. Time to snap out of it and take that walk in the park, shop till you drop or do that one thing you know will make you happy.
- Surround Yourself with Joyful People: Some of us need role models of a cheerful attitude because we come from a long line of morbid, humorless, and grumbling people. We wish we could scrub their influence out of our DNA, but they are insidious to our make up and surface in our attitudes way too often. Happy people not only make you feel good in their presence but they teach you how to be happy through example. Stand with happy people and seemingly through osmosis you’ll be happy too.
- Make Someone Happy: Make someone happy, Make just one someone happy, And you will be happy, too. Fact! There is nothing like seeing the joy beaming on someone’s face after giving them a little bit of consideration, love and attention in your own special way. Yes, it is possible to make someone happy. People who give are the happiest people alive. They understand that the joy of giving, in most instances, exceeds the joy of receiving.
Source: Adapted from Keen.com
Happy Songs Just For You, To Ease Away The Monday Blues
L i v e | L a u g h | L o v e | S m i l e | D a n c e